Thursday, October 10, 2013

My Refurbished Kitchen Table

Well, at least the table is done.  I still have to do the chairs.  Le sigh....

I started my kitchen table project almost two months ago.  I was really excited to get this done and back in my kitchen.  This project has proven to be quite time consuming and it might not haven taken so long had my sweet little pup, Cooper, hadn't needed surgery that required a month and a half of healing and being a "cone-head".  The project was put on  hold while I cared for my best friend.

After Coop had healed and was back to his adorable puppy ways, I resumed work upon my table.  First, let me tell you a little bit about it.  Right before I bought my Itty Bitty House, I had a pretty good sized dining room table.   I knew that it would be too big for my new place, so I sold it to a friend for $300.  I was sad to see it go, but it had to be done.  After I sold my table, I used the money I had made to buy another smaller table that would be just the right size for my little place.  I found this on Craigslist for $125.  Now, I knew it was used and was pretty ugly, but I also knew that eventually, I would make it amazing. 


My vision was to stain the top a darker color and to paint and glaze the base and chairs.  I started with sanding the top of table, which ended up being quite a bit of work and had me questioning what I had gotten myself into.  ha!


After the sanding was complete, I applied 3 coats of a Dark Walnut stain.  (It took 3 coats until I enjoyed the outcome.)


After the staining was complete, I did 3 layers of a clear, protective top-coat with a quick sanding job done in between coats and then the table top was complete.  Gorgeous...


The hard part was over and it was now time for painting, a skill at which I am much more comfortable with.  After applying a primer to the entire base of the table, I purchased a flat, sample paint from Home Depot....Behr's Delicate Lace which cost me a whole $3 and because I'm crafty, I was able to paint the entire base of the table with two coats and still have a little left to start the chairs.  Saving those dollars, ya'll!

Then, as with my other projects, I added a dark brown glaze and here is my finished product (minus the chairs, of course).




It really is just so beautiful and I am so happy with it.  And someday in the near future when I replace those funky floors with a gorgeous dark hardwood, this table will really stand-out.

I'm not sure I'll ever not have a project to do with my house, but it is so much fun.  My chairs are next and then I'll start on painting the awesome armoire I scored at a thrift store for $75.  So much to do, so little time.

Cheers my friends!  Thanks for reading.

XO